Identification of occupancy type of every space
and room in building.
Calculated occupant loads for every space and
6. Calculations contained in The SFPE Handbook of
room in the building.
Fire Protection Engineering for calculating sound
Location of special fire protection requirements
(e.g., kitchens, computer rooms, storage, etc.)
and location of fire alarm system audible notification
1. Building egress system.
Includes egress calculations and stairway exit
1. Lighting calculations for a typical 186 m2 (2,000 sf)
capacities, remoteness, exit discharge, etc.
open office plan with system furniture.
2. All building fire alarm and suppression systems.
2. Lighting calculations for a typical one person private
3. Smoke control system(s), where applicable.
3. Power calculations from building entry to branch
4. Special fire protection systems (e.g., kitchen
extinguishing system), where applicable.
4. Load calculations.
5. Fire resistance rating of building structural elements.
Coordinate with structural engineer.
5. Life cycle cost analysis of luminaire/lamp system and
6. Fire alarm system.
7. Interface of fire alarm system with Building
1. Description of alternative power distribution
8. Review of building for compliance with life safety
requirements and building security requirements.
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of
each approach. Include the source of power,
9. Interior finish requirements as they pertain to the life
potential for on-site generation, most economical
voltage and primary versus secondary metering.
2. Proposed power distribution scheme.
1. Floor Plans showing:
Equipment spaces for fire protection systems
the selected scheme. Address special power and
(e.g., fire pump, fire alarm, etc.)
Fire protection water supply lines, fire hydrant
power and UPS systems.
locations, fire apparatus access roads, and fire
3. Proposed lighting systems.
Discuss typical lighting system features, including
Standpipes and sprinkler risers.
fixture type, layout, and type of controls.
Riser diagrams for sprinkler system.
Discuss special spaces such as lobbies, auditoria,
Riser diagram for fire alarm system.
dining rooms and conference rooms.
Remoteness of exit stairways.
Discuss exterior lighting scheme.
Location of firewalls and smoke partitions.
320 F A C I L I T I E S S T A N D A R D S
Revised March 2005 PBS-P100