Strategies for Selecting
the Lead Designer and the Design Excellence A/E Team
Sample Vision Competition Program
Building System Energy Efficiency
Goals: This project shall be designed to ensure that the building systems meet the
special design criteria of tenant agencies and provide maximum energy efficiency.
Objectives: Building systems shall meet all criteria indicated in the USCDG and P100.
Additionally, the building systems should meet special design criteria as set forth in the
tenant agency requirements.
1. The building shall meet and hopefully exceed the energy goal established for
2. All building systems shall be designed and specified so as to satisfy U.S.
courts and GSA standards for ventilation, temperature control and energy
efficiency, while employing life-cycle cost justified technologies for systems
flexibility and annual building energy budget levels not in excess of published
3. Energy efficiency shall be optimized by applying for and obtaining all electric
utility company rebates that provide an overall life-cycle and asset management
advantage while conforming to all published standards related to the design.
4. The successful compliance with all design, construction, and post-construction
elements of the GSA project commissioning process will assure energy
efficiency by confirming that systems operation comply with design and energy
5. Based on the magnitude, flexibility and complexity of the environmental and
power systems required for this building, it is recommended that a computerized
Direct Digital Control System (DDC) be provided. This system will control
occupancy schedules, temperature control and energy usage as well as
schedule maintenance protocols, troubleshoot system failures and integrate
emergency power back up systems for life safety, computer, and security systems.
Accountability Questions: By independent A/E review, do the building systems meet
the criteria of the guidelines stated in the objective above? Has the energy goal been
exceeded, enhancing the project's goal in achieving a LEED "silver rating"?
Goals: The project shall be designed ensure that the building structural systems meet
the special design criteria of tenant agencies and provide maximum longevity for the
facility. The building shall meet the special requirement of a structure constructed in this
specific region of the country with respect to soil, seismic, wind and weather conditions.
1. All structural and non-structural elements and components will be designed
and specified to comply with applicable codes and regulations for the specific
2. The building foundation and substructure shall be designed considering the
site specific soils conditions, climate, and ground water table data.
3. All building materials and systems shall be designed and specified to have a
"usable life," or extended warranty protection, for a period of not less than 20
chapter 6 resources